Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

Oh I will be 70 and have received SS since 62 yr of age.

Customer Question

Oh Hi, I will be 70 and have received SS since 62 yr of age. Divorced in 89, but had been married to him 20 years. Can I receive any SS benefits from him?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Just wanting to know if I can claim some of x husbands social security
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know what info to give yet/
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 20 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

If a divorced spouse benefit on his record is greater than your own record benefits, yes, you can switch. We can not collect both amounts, but we can take the higher of the two.

Because a spousal benefit is always only a small portion of his total, often our own benefit is the bigger one. That said, if he were to pre-decease you, you then become eligible for a divorced widow benefit which is 100% of his full SS amount. So keep track of him!

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!