dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

SS# ***********) and I am the father of ****** (SS #

Customer Question

My name is Don ****** (SS# ***********) and I am the father of Chris ****** (SS # *********) and I'm in need of information regarding my son's Special Needs Trust. It was established last April. The trust document was reviewed by the local SS Office in Eureka. The special agent that reviewed the document identified questions that needed attention from Social Security. As far as I know, the special needs document was forwarded to Social Security for further review. Here's my problem. I have not heard whether the trust has the approval of SS. My specific concern is that the management of the trust calls for a trustee board. But I do not want to proceed with the implementation of the trust if there are questions regarding the composition of board members their, duties and any other question your office may have.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: As of October 5, a total of $8859.91 has been deposited in my son's trust. All of these funds have come from his monthly SS allowance. I have checked out my concerns with the staff in our local SS office but their response did not fully answer the question posed in this communication.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rick Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm happy to help. For this question, it's best if you are online. Who told you that the SS has to approve the Trust?

Don, I'm a CPA with 25 years experience. I also have a son with special needs and maintain a trust for him. I would be glad to answer your question, but need to have a little back and forth discussion to fully understand the context of your question. Please let me know when you will be back online. I'm on EST time. -Rick

I will be back online at 10pm and again all day tomorrow. -Rick

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Rick
I will be tomorrow all day.

Let's have a call this afternoon. What time is best for you?

Don, I sent you an invitation to a call that we can set for later this afternoon. You may receive additional offers from Just Answer, I don't see send those from my end.

Expert:  Rick Martin replied 1 month ago.

Hi Don, checking back in with you to see if there is a good time to talk or text. -Rick