LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I applied for a change in my Bank from Wells Fargo to

Customer Question

Dear Sir:
I applied for a change in my Bank from Wells Fargo to Suncoast Credit Union around the
middle of September, 2016. MKy old bank Wells Fargo has closed my account as
September 28, 2016. I have a kdirect deposit coming in on October 12, 2016. Will
the Social Security Administration send the direct deposit to my new checking account
with Suncoast Credit Union? I f not what will happen to the deposit? I live on my
Social Security and a very small pension so this is very critical to me.
Terrence A. Crossley
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 21 days ago.

Good morning Mr. Crossley,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

On average it takes social security about 6 to 8 weeks to process a change of bank account and get your deposit to your new bank. You made a mistake in closing the old account before you received your first social security payment to it. Keeping the old account open until at least one payment has been made to your new account is a critical step in avoiding a missed payment and the hassle that comes with going without the money for as much as a month, until it can be re-processed by social security.

Go back to Wells Fargo and ask if it is possible to re-open the same account for a month or two so you don't miss your payment. If you don't do this then you are all but certain to net receive your October payment and unfortunately, it can take 30 to 60 days time to recover the missed payment due to the closed account resulting in the payment being sent back to social security.

All you can do if you don't get the Wells Fargo account re-open is to call social security on or after (Not before) October 12th and let them know the reason that you did not receive your payment. It will still probably be at least November 1 before the missed payment can be proceed and made to your new account. You can call the Social Security Office toll-free at 1-***-***-****.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 21 days ago.

Good morning,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,