Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

I just turned 62, My husband is 63, Can I draw off his SS?

Customer Question

I just turned 62, My husband is 63, Can I draw off his SS ?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Neither one of us have signed up yet, He may wait till 66. I cannot work I am a truck driver and I have Osteoarthritis in my knee and get into the truck anymore . (We are truck drivers). I could file forSS disability But I have heard what a pain that is to do.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am waiting for decision from my disability Insurance, weather will will ok my claim, I did claim the short term, but that has run out. But I am asking this in case for some reason it does not go through.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 23 days ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help with this.

I'm so sorry, but after the bi-partisan budget amendment last fall, (which ended the file & suspend strategy) your husband would have to be receiving HIS benefit for you to file for a spousaal benefit.

That's the pri***** *****ge in the law; that ansillary benefits (spousal, dependent) can only now be received if the worker is receiving their own benefit.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.