Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is it true that if a disabled adult child works before age

Customer Question

Is it true that if a disabled adult child works before age 22, they are ineligible to collect benefits on parents record?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Great Question. The requirements are only that the adult child must be unmarried, age 18 or older, and have a disability that started before age 22.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, well I am 50 years old and have Spina Bifida. I wear leg braces and use wheelchair. I collect ssdi. I have been trying to get benefits on dad's record for the past 8 years. Keep getting turned downed.the last reason is because I started working before 22. I don't dispute that, however I only had been working approximately 2 weeks before my 22nd birthday. This is a very stressful situation.

There may be a law professional online that may be able to help you through Just Answer. I will opt out and transfer this question over to a law expert. Best Wishes to you.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

A different Professional here.

You are eligible for benefits under your parents' earnings if you were disabled before age 22. If you have been turned down several times, then you need to file an appeal to the Administrative Law Judge. You can use this form for the appeal.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2 questions 1) can I call my local social security office and request that the forms be mailed to me. 2). What if the social security office tells me that I can't appeal this decision what do I do?

2 questions 1) can I call my local social security office and request that the forms be mailed to me.

Response 1: Yes, you can.

2). What if the social security office tells me that I can't appeal this decision what do I do?

Response 2: Social Security Administration CANNOT tell you that. You have a right to appeal the decision to the Administrative Law Judge.

You can also call the 800# and request that the form be mailed to you.

1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).