Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

What documents do I need to take to sign up for medicare and

Customer Question

what documents do I need to take to sign up for medicare and for my ex husbands social security benefits 3 months prior to drawing
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My ex husband has passed and I was told that I could start drawing his social security in 1/17 the year I turn 66 which is 6/26/17.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am still working and would like to continue. How much money am I allowed to make after my Full Retirement date.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. ... I can help you here.

...

If you wait until Full Retirement Age (FRA) to take your benefits, there IS no limit.

...

It's only for those that take early (between 62 and 66) that benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 for dollars earned over an annual limit ($15,720 in 2016).

...

Once FRA is reached, regardless when when the benefits start, there IS no reduction, or annual limit.

...

And on the SURVIVOR bennefit, that benefit is 71.5% of his FRA benefit (at your age 60) up to 100% of his benefit (at your age 66)

...

Please let me know what questions you have from here.

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986…

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I still need to know what documents I need to take with me to the Social Security Office tomorrow.