How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 36701
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ng my check this month the entire check because I have been

Customer Question

ng my check this month the entire check because I have been over paid over ten years ago. I read on your own web page that the cea stated " any over pmt. over ten years will not be paid back. How can they take the only means of survival when their own leading ceo said no one over ten years owing does not need to be collected?How will I see my doctors? How will I buy my medicines? I am on oxygen all the time. Do I just turn my oxygen consentrater back over to the company and just wait to die?I will go to the local office in the morning but, I need an answer now or its going to be a very hard night trying to hold my emotions in check and not have a breathing panic attack and have to go to the hospital.Help me.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I have sent the statement from their CEO on their web page stating any over payment over ten years will not be collected and it is being ignored.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle social security issues.

Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

I am not sure where you read the information that you referred to, however, the 10 year limitation period runs from the date that social security first makes the determination that an overpayment has been made. The 10 years does not run from the actual date of the overpayment.

So if social security determined that you were overpaid, and they came to that conclusion less than 10 years ago, they are still allowed to collect from you now, even if the overpayment was made 20 or 30 years ago.

Here is a link to the operating manual for social security that sets out the law as regards ***** ***** year period.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.


It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,