Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

If i form a S corporation, will those earnings affect my

Customer Question

if i form a S corporation, will those earnings affect my social security benefit if i am 64?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i have the opportunity to form a "S" corporation. But I am collecting social security. Will the earnings of an S corp affect my social security?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

From the SSA website:

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, we will reduce your benefit. Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, we will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

• We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2016 that limit is $15,720.

• In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

The following link contains additional information that you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 16 days ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,