dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

My brother gets SSI-mental, he was on my mothers joint

Customer Question

My brother gets SSI-mental, he was on my mothers joint account checking. She signed checks 99% of the time. She has passed away, there is some money in her checking account and I do not want it to show as imcome for my brother. So I told him to have the bank make out a cashiers check to me, his sister, thinking it will not go against him as income. Is that correct?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 22 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Deposits, withdrawals or any other movement of money in bank or any institution is NOT not income for tax purposes. Income is something you earn working or investing. Inheriting is not.