How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2822
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get my mothers or fathers ssi when they pass on? my

Customer Question

can I get my mothers or fathers ssi when they pass on?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: my father died in2003 he was on, and my mom passed away april of 2016 she was retired.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rick Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm happy to answer your question.

Expert:  Rick Martin replied 2 months ago.

I kindly ask that you give me a good rating, or let me know you're happy, after I've answered your question. My 5 star rating is very important to me.

Expert:  Rick Martin replied 2 months ago.

First, I am sorry for your loss. How old are you, and are you disabled?

Expert:  Rick Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm going to opt out and let another expert respond who may be able to answer your question without a dialogue.

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you since the first expert opted out of your question.

To get benefits, a child must have:

• A parent who’s disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or

• A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where they paid Social Security taxes.

The child must also be:

• Unmarried;

• Younger than age 18;

• 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or

• 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,


Related Social Security Questions