LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Arries, does she keep her own benefits? widow 80 years old

Customer Question

arries, does she keep her own benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: widow 80 years old remarriage, does she keep her own benefits?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 23 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is the widow receiving her own retirement benefit, a spouse benefit or a survivor benefit?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
survivor benefit
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I think I made a mistake It is a spouse benefit
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
answer by email ***@******.***
Expert:  LawTalk replied 23 days ago.

Good afternoon Linda,

Thanks so much for the clarification. Yes, the widow will absolutely be able to keep receiving her survivor benefit. Anyone over the age of 60 who is receiving a survivor benefit is eligible to remarry and continue to receive that benefit.

It is only going to be a spouse benefit if the spouse is still alive. If the widow's husband died, the spouse benefit would have been converted to a survivor benefit and would generally have more than doubled in value.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 23 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,