Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I will turn 70 next year. Currently I am drawing SS benefits

Customer Question

I will turn 70 next year. Currently I am drawing SS benefits from my deceased husband. I understand at age 70 I will need to start drawing my own benefits. If anything, what do I need to do ?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 23 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

That is not exactly true as you will draw either your own SS retirement or the survivor benefit, whichever is higher. SSA will automatically switch over to your benefit at age 70 if it is higher (mandatory retirement age). So there is nothing you should do but you should confirm with SSA what exactly your amount is at age 70 and if it will be higher than your survivor benefit. If it is then just keep an eye out for the increase and make sure that SSA did not make an error and not switch you over although they should do it automatically.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.