Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

My son age 59 is an has been mildly retarded since birth;

Customer Question

my son age 59 is an has been mildly retarded since birth; currently receives SSI.Was notified a few months ago that he was overpaid by $5000.00 + a couple months later
another letter stating $6,200 +. I was sent waiver papers, after a couple weeks to no avail I sent in what I had completed and asked for a meeting to receive help in completing them or permission to contact Legal Aid help. On October 1, I received a letter from the Philadelphia, PA office asking for $435.00 by Oct. 16. I have not talked to anyone to get a clear understanding about the overpayment. I don't know if that is one of many payments or what? I really don't think it is our fault and until I get a chance to speak with someone I don't think we should have to repay anything. My Name is Emma ********* and I am the mother and legal guardian of Lewis *********** - Address ************ wV 26505 . I would just like to speak to someone and get an understanding of this situation.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Dear Customer,

What you are facing is a not so effective mailing process. To deal with the bureaucracy, below are some suggestions:

1) Contact your US Senator's office for them to do congressional inquiry. They are usually very effective to get you some answers and follow up until the matter is resolved. Below are their major office numbers. They should be able to get you to their intake staff's telephone number. You only need to get one of the senators to help you.

Capito, Shelley Moore - (R - WV)

Class II

172 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510

(###) ###-####/p>

Contact: www.capito.senate.gov/contact/contact-shelley

Manchin, Joe, III - (D - WV)Class I

306 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510

(###) ###-####/p>

Contact: www.manchin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form

2) Find an attorney practicing in the area of social security disability. They are usually on contingency basis. At least, you can have a head start on where to go next.

3) Walk into a regional, local social security administration office and talk with a representative face to face.

But you cannot ignore the notices. Write back to the Philadelphia, PA responding to the notice and say what you stated in this posting. Hopefully, by that deadline, the above actions 1-3 would have gotten you some break through.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

Dear Customer,

To protest the amount, you need to verify the numbers. For your son, he/you can apply for hardship and get a payment plan. Sometimes, the government will let you pay over the life time expectancy. You can appeal before an administrative judge for hearing. There are many aspects potential to the issue.

Follow through on all the steps suggested in my previous posting.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona