LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If two people who are each collecting SS benefits get

Customer Question

If two people who are each collecting SS benefits get married, can each continue to collect benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I jus t want to know if getting married affects each of our monthly SS benefits
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Just that one of the individuals is in a long term facility
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as each of you are collecting your own retirement benefit and not a survivor benefit or a spouse benefit, then getting married will have no effect on your entitlement to your ongoing social security benefit.

However, if one or both of you are collecting a spouse benefit and you remarry, you will lose that spouse benefit.

Likewise, if either or both of you are collecting a survivor benefit, if the person collecting the survivor benefit is under the age of 60, then they will lose that benefit by marrying. However, if you are collecting a survivor benefit and are already over the age of 60, then the survivor benefit will not be effected by your marriage.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight?

Doug