Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
59761513

What documents are accepted for proof of marriage? My

Customer Question

What documents are accepted for proof of marriage?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My marriage was not recorded in the county where I was married and I don't believe that it was ever legally recorded. Socia; Security wants proof
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I was 16 and eloped and was married by a minister 64 years ago. My husband passed July 31.2016
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 months ago.
When you are married a marriage certificate is issued. If you are now saying that this was done but such has for some reason or another dissapeared from record then your tax returns are the next best option.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 months ago.
Wether you file joint or separate your spouses info is included on your returns.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 months ago.
A divorce decree may be acceptable proof of marriage if:
it contains sufficient information to determine that the marriage lasted at least 10 years; and
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 months ago.
In general at statement that you were married on the application is enough. Here is the verbatim language.
The spouse's statement on the application that he or she was ceremonially married to the NH may generally be accepted as proof if it is confirmed in writing by the worker.
1. GeneralThe statements on marriage will not be accepted as proof and other evidence of marriage is required when:
The file raises some doubt of the relationship;
The marriage took place less than 2 years before the day on which application for spouse's benefits is filed;
Either the NH or the spouse is incapable of handling benefits; or
The spouse is claiming benefits as a deemed or divorced spouse.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 months ago.
if they are asking for proof do you know for what reason. Married less than 2 years? divorce?
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 months ago.
If direct proof cannot be obtained you must supply form SSA-795 including the following:
a description of the church or place where the ceremony was performed;
a description of the person who performed the ceremony;
how the parties went to the place of marriage;
what the weather was like;
who were the witnesses; and
any other details that can be remembered.