Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Do I need to contact social security about my spouses death

Customer Question

Do I need to contact social security about my spouses death after the funeral service has reported?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My spouse died Sept 13,2016 do I need to contact them?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The funeral services reported the death. I have a disabled daughter living wih me that gets ssa on my ss account
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name's Lane ... I can help you here.

...

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

...

Also, there are two different issues; Reporting the death to Social Security, and possibly, filing for survivor benefits.

...

You DON'T need to inform Social Security if the Funeral Home reported...THis is a part of what they do - If you provided them withh the social securty number (would also be on the death certificate if that was provided to OR BY them) then they've done that part for you.

...

However, if your spouse's retirement benefit was larger than any benefit you may be receiving (or if you aren't receiving at all) then you should apply for the SURVIVORS benefit.

...

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;

...

Please let me know if you have questions from here

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

To apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-****. You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead (to the main number, 1-***-***-****) and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986…