LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Do I need to contact social security about my spouses death

Customer Question

Do I need to contact social security about my spouses death after the funeral service has reported?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My spouse died Sept 13,2016 do I need to contact them?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The funeral services reported the death. I have a disabled daughter living wih me that gets ssa on my ss account
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In most circumstances the funeral director's office will notify social security of the death of the decedent. Once this is done, there is no reason for you to have to also notify social security.

You will however want to contact social security about applying for the lump sum death benefit that is payable to spouses who have lost their spouse. While the amount is small---just $255---it is money that you are entitled to as the surviving spouse.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No my phone is on hold waiting for ss now. can I apply for the $255 online or by mail
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing. you have not helped me Ill just have to wait foor Social Security to take my call
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

You can make the claim over the phone but they will still need you to mail in documents. Alternatively you can file the claim at your local social security office.

I don't know how long you have been on hold but many people report literally being on hold for as long as 7 hours waiting for a live person at the social security administration. Usually a trip to the local social security office is a more practical use of your time.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

I'm not sure how you can say I haven't helped you. I answered your question about the need to call social security to report the death after the funeral company already has done that---there is no need.

I even went beyond what you asked about and detailed your entitlement to a lump sum death benefit and I explained how to get it.

If you have another question I'll be happy to answer it. Or I would be willing to call you as well if you would like.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug