dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have what I think is a fairly unique situation. I am 65

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have what I think is a fairly unique situation. I am 65 and working (and plan to work to 70), my spouse is 66 and retired. I have an adult son on SSI who was disabled before 22 and we have a 9yo grandchild we are raising and are legal guardians of. I can't find a good source for figuring out how to maximize ss benefits in this fact scenario.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no. that's it in a nutshell. We can both defer to 70 and have no reason we will not live a long and healthy life.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades, and I handle social security issues.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $14 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is your wife receiving social security retirement benefits yet?

2. Is your adult son receiving an adult child disability benefit yet?

3. Are you and your wife in a position to adopt your grandchild?

4. Is your adult son still collecting SSI? What is his age now?

5. Is your wife receiving any kind of an employer pension? If so was the employer a public or private employer?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug