Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am age 70, about to turn 71, any just remarried after 30

Customer Question

I am age 70, about to turn 71, any just remarried after 30 years of being divorced. How long must we be married before my new wife can trade my social security for hers, in the event of my death? Must I alert the social security admin of my recent marriage?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

You need to be married only for one year to collect spousal benefits (50% of your benefit but it does not stack with her own SS benefit) and just nine months for survivor's benefits. You do not have to alert SSA of your marriage and she will simply need to provide the appropriate information of your marriage at the time of your death. It is as simply as that.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?