LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I need to make sure my Mothers death has been recorded.The

Customer Question

I need to make sure my Mothers death has been recorded.The funeral home said I should check on it. Andrea Poremba
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good evening Andrea,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Trying to reach social security by phone is exasperating, and I empathize with your situation. Generally, the immediate concern about reporting a death is to ensure that benefits are not paid to the deceased. You can mail in a copy of the death certificate to social security or you can visit the local social security office.

In the meantime, the fastest way to avoid future payments of benefits to your mother's account is to simply notify your mother's bank that she is deceased and they will automatically return future social security payments to social security. Then within a few weeks your mailed notice of death will have been entered into the system by social security.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Hi Andrea,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug