Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent

I need to know if I can receive SS help for my med. bills?

Customer Question

Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 27 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Dear Customer,

There are several elements of information needed to the answer of the question. I have the questions listed below. Please feel free to respond. Otherwise, my answers below on the last are assumed that you have medical bill issue, and focus on how you may approach the issue.

1) Are you disabled?

2) Have you retained an attorney to help you apply for SS disability?

3) How old are you?

4) Have you contacted the social security administration on how much and when you will qualify for social security retirement?

5) Is it possible for you to qualify for spousal benefit or survival benefit based on an ex-spouse or current spouse?

For the social security system to help you with the medical bills, you need to be on the Medicare and/or on the Medicaid programs.

Otherwise, you are paying the medical bills from your social security retirement income, if you are taking early retirement than the full retirement age.

If you don't think you qualify for Medicare or Medicaid, you may want to give the federal health insurance exchange market a call and select a health insurance plan with part of the premium and co-pay paid by the government.

Another alternative to give your County's Department of Family and Health Services and/or Department of Aging services a call to see any programs they can suggest for you to qualify for their services. Medical expenses is one item, but if you can qualify for any other services, the saved money can go towards medical.

Please feel free to follow up.

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP