TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

I am years old and have been payee for handicapped sister

Customer Question

I am 69 years old and have been payee for handicapped sister for twenty years. wht can I do to no longer be payee s
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: my sister is 58 years old and was determined to have low IQ when she was a child and my father got benefits for her. When he died, as the oldest sibing, I took over, but my health is poor and I wasn't to get out of it.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My sister wants the benefits in her own name. how can this be done
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 29 days ago.

I know the responsibility of your role is heavy. When you can no longer be payee; or the beneficiary no longer needs a payee you should call SSA at 1-***-***-****, or contact your local Social Security office.

SSA can answer your case specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You’ll generally have a shorter wait time if you call after Tuesday.

When you’re no longer responsible for the beneficiary, you must return any benefits, including interest and any cash you have, to Social Security. They’ll reissue the funds to the beneficiary or a new payee if they find your sister is not able to handle the funds herself.