How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2843
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I apply for and receive my social security when I'm

Customer Question

Can I apply for and receive my social security when I'm receiving my husband's social security & he died in 1997?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What else do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I just turned 80, can't think of anything else
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi Iris. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can, and you are most likely receiving the higher of your own or your widow benefits. You can only receive one benefits at the time, your own or your widow, but not both.

If you are eligible for more than one type of social security benefits, the SSA usually pays you the highest benefits available to you, unless you specifically request otherwise.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?