dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

Why am I penalized because i started Medicare Part a why on

Customer Question

Why am I penalized because i started Medicare Part a why on dialysis? I was actively employed with group benefits and applied for Part B as soon as I became inactive, which I was told to do by SS. Now i am told I have to wait until open enrollment.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I was told by Ss that I did all I was supposed to do, no reason not to get Part B immediately.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 30 days ago.

Hi. Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, in most cases, if you don't sign up for Part B when you're first eligible, you'll have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have Part B. There are some exclusions.

If you were covered by a FEHB (Federal Employees Health Plan) plan either through you or a spouse’s active employment (not annuitant coverage).

Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 29 days ago.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 26 days ago.

Just a reminder to accept the answer - it is no extra charge and credits me for answering the question. Thank you. *****