LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I'm a retired Post Office rural carrier [now age 88] -

Customer Question

I'm a retired Post Office rural carrier [now age 88] - retired since Dec. 1988. Ever since day one of drawing my SS benefits, I have only received 2/3 of full value. As of today, I still get only 2/3 of what it should be. Why is this happening and is there anyway of getting back what I believe is my money ?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 28 days ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

Because you earned a USPS pension as well as a social security retirement benefit, social security applies the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and the fact that your social security benefit was decrease by 1/3 is based on that WEP. Here is a link to a discussion of the WEP: The effect of the provision will remain in place so long as you are eligible to receive your USPS pension, and there is no process for you to recover the money not paid because of the rule. I am sorry.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 28 days ago.

Good afternoon,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 27 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?