annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

I'm my mom's payee of her check and I don't have assess to

Customer Question

I'm my mom's payee of her check and I don't have assess to her bank account cause my aunt handle that but recently I received a letter saying her account closed and she received her check on the 1st so can social security transfer her check to my bank account
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 2 months ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The short answer to your question is no. No one else may be on the account with your Mother. (I'm guessing that your Aunt was on the account since she was able to close it)

Not even you, as her financial agent, may be listed on the account, meaning that it may not be a "joint" account.

The account will show to be in your Mother's name only, and you as the financial agent. Please see page 9 of below:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10076.pdf

If my answer has been helpful to you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.