Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

I do not find my social security card with my number. and I

Customer Question

I do not find my social security card with my number. My name is***** and I was born on January 4, 1982. My parents are Eli and Charlotte Berman.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

You need to apply and get another social security card by using your state issued I.D. card or other documents.

You can apply on line. For assistance call the SSA at 1-***-***-****. The most direct method is probably going to a local SSA office.

Please see the quotation and website links below for further information.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

"Replacement Social Security Card

To apply for a replacement card, you must provide one document to prove your identity. If you were born

outside the U.S., you must also provide documents to prove your U.S. citizenship or current, lawful, work-

authorized status. See page 2 for an explanation of acceptable documents."

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3755/How-do-I-apply-for-a-new-or-replacement-Social-Security-number-card

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really don't need the card... I just need to get my number. All I want to do is fill out my W9 form

Dear Customer,

There are many ways to get the number.

Do you still have your last year's or prior year's tax return?

Regards,

Fiona

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No.... I never filed a US tax return... I never had use of the number

Dear Customer,

If you went to school, saw doctor, applied for driver's license, applied for housing rental, applied for telephone number, any utilities, you needed to have provided your social security number.

Have you received a W-2 wage income?

Were you born in the U.S.?

Inquire from the Social security administration is still the most direct method to get your social security number.

If you parents are still living, they may have your SSN.

Some of the background check on line may be able to search out the SSN on you. But they cost you money, and the search may or may not work.

Regards,

Fiona

Dear Efrat,

I saw that your country is Israel.

Have you ever applied for a social security number in the U.S.?

You can also contact the SSA international service office if you are in Israel.

"If You Need to Inquire About a New or Replacement Card

If you are calling about a new or replacement Social Security Number card, call(###) ###-####"

https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/phones.html

Regards,

Fiona

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is no way you can access my social security number????

Dear Efrat,

SSN is private, personal, and confidential information. In the U.S., this is the ultimate private information.

If a forensic accountant do a background check on you, the person may be able to find that number. It could be hard to find if the person has never use it. The credit information usually is based on the reporting from the financial institutions and not from the government.

But even if this forensic accountant can find the SSN, s/he should not give it to you as a user of the website because there is no way for this forensic accountant to verify that you are the person.

Only you can have access to the official SSA website and your SSN.

Hopefully, I am explaining this sensibly.

If you are filling out W-9, you are not subject to U.S. tax authority and on the U.S. soil, the social security card can come handy. Contact the social security administration as information provided above.

Regards,

Fiona