TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

WHAT PAPERWORK DO I NEED TO START MY SOCIAL SECURITY. I WILL

Customer Question

WHAT PAPERWORK DO I NEED TO START MY SOCIAL SECURITY. I WILL BE 66 IN OCTOBER AND WAS TOLD TO APPLY IN SEPTEMBER. AM GOING TOMORROW AND NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO TAKE
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: WHAT DO YOU NNED TO KNOW
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: NOT THAT I KNOW OF
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

The documents SSA may ask for are:

• your Social Security card (or a record of your number);
  • your original birth certificate or other proof of birth (You may also submit a copy of your birth certificate certified by the issuing agency);
  • proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the U.S. [More Info];
  • a copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) if you had military service before 1968; and
  • a copy of your W-2 form(s) and/or self-employment tax return for last year.

Even if you don't have all the documents you need, don't delay signing up for Social Security. You can submit any documents you do have. You can provide the missing documents later or SSA may be able to help you get them.