Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

My husband passed a week ago he was collecting disability.

Customer Question

My husband passed a week ago he was collecting disability. I'm 58 can i collect anything?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have parkinson applied for disability was denied. My husband died of multiable myloma suffered for three years we were drawing from his IRA and he got disability
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: like what
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

First, I'm so sorry for your loss... and the difficulties.

Therre IS a survivor benefit, but you'll have to wait to age 60 to collect.

The survivors benefit is 71.5% of what his Full Retirement AGE Benefit (FRA) would have been at age 60 ... growing to 100% if you wait until age 66 (your own FRA) to take the benefit.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Here's the SSA publication on Survicors benefits

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise I receive no crediting for the work here.

Thank you!

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.