dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am soon to be 63 years old. I have been collecting social

Customer Question

I am soon to be 63 years old. I have been collecting social security since 12/2015. My husband suddenly passed away recently at the age of 61. His income was quite a bit higher than mine. I was told that I am not eligible for his benefits, due to the fact he was not retirement age. Is this correct?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are not eligible for spousal benefits (based on his records) but you may be eligible for surviving/widow benefits (also benefits based on his work records). But because you applied for your benefit before your full retirement age, you permanently reduced your own benefits but also all benefits available to you in the future, including widow's benefit. Which means you will not get 100%, you will get about 71 - 75% of his benefits. If your widows benefits are higher than your own, you will be switched to your widows benefits. You cannot apply for widows benefits online or over the phone, you will need to visit your local office as soon as possible to apply.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?