Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Why do I not receive my social security earnings instead of

Customer Question

Why do I not receive my social security earnings instead of 1/2 of my husband's?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a Public Employees pension from Ohio. My husband recently died and when I applied for widow's benefits I was denied. I received a letter stating no benefits but my personal benefits was 700.00 plus dollars. Half of my husband's was 652. I am looking for my letter
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Let me find my letter first to be sure I've stated it correctly
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I can help you with this ... My name's Lane.

...

First. I 'm sporry for your loss.

...

The reason for this is a provision on Social Secdurity Law called the Government Pension Offset (GPO)

...

Coincidentally, I'm very familiar with this issue as I worked as a Financial Planner in Worthington and Cincinnati Ohio for many years, and had PERS clients.

...

When someone has a pension from PERS or any other non-social security system and is also entitled to a survivors benefit on a decedent's work record, that survivors benefit is reduced by 2/3 of the amount of their PERS benefit.

...

So, if you PERS benefit is large enough, it can completely wipe out any Social Security Survivors benefit

...

As an example, if your PERS benefit is 3000 and your social security sirvivors benefit is less than 2000 (2/3 of 3000) then the benefit is completely erased.

...

So sorry to be the messenger here.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

(Sorry for the typos. The system, isn't letting me edit today, for some reason)

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

...

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no crediting for the work here.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.