dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I was approved to be on Social Security Disability in the

Customer Question

I was approved to be on Social Security Disability in the year 2000 due to Lupus and the breakdown of my immune system I had always worked hard up until then so I had contributed to SS a lot. I will be turning 66years old in 2 months. May I check to see if I qualify for a higher monthly $ amount that is not SSI but a regular Social Security benefit based on my own work record and unrelated to a disability? I ask this because a girlfriend of mine had her husband pass away and she qualified for a "widow" benefit at age 60. She took that benefit lower $ amount but can now apply for a higher amount based on her own work record as she will also turn 66 years old in 2 months also. (we both have birthdays in November just 3 days apart!)
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your social security benefits, including disability benefits are based on your work records. At full retirement age your disability automatically convert to regular benefits, but the amount will not change. Your girlfriend's benefits, on the other hand are based on her late husband's records. She could switch to her own as early as 62. That's not your case if you are receiving benefits based on your own records.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?