TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

Mother just passed away 9.5.16, not sure of what forms dad

Customer Question

Mother just passed away 9.5.16, not sure of what forms dad needs to fill out? Do you need copy or original death certificate and if original, would it be better to walk into office?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Mom didn't work outside of the home much, in fact very little. But the did own properties and were considered self employed. With that said, I would think that there maybe some money paid into S.S.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I'm ready.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

You should let Social Security know when a person dies as soon as possible.

Usually, the funeral director will report the person’s death to Social Security. You’ll have needed to give your mother's Social Security number to the funeral director so he or she could have made the report.

SSA pays a one-time payment of $255 to the surviving spouse. Your father may be able to receive survivor benefits as a widower.

If you still need to report your mother's death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-****.

They will need the death certificate.