Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband has gone missing and has not returned for 6

Customer Question

My husband has gone missing and has not returned for 6 months. His Social Security checks are still being received. How should I handle this? Joyce Beck(###) ###-####
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

You can always call and ask SSA for guidance, but likely that will not cause any actiion.

...

There is a process already in place ... and SSA has already responded to the inspecor general once saying that to review these cases would take resources away from an already overburdened work load.

...

Social Security benefit checks may be cashed up to one year after their issue date. If a beneficiary does not cash a check within one year, the Department of the Treasury returns the funds to SSA.

...

When SSA receives the returned funds, it sends a letter to the beneficiary inquiring if the check was received and cashed. If the beneficiary responds to the letter, SSA reviews the beneficiary’s record, and if appropriate, reissues the check.

...

If the beneficiary does not respond to the letter or indicates the check was cashed, SSA takes no further actions.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

What this does functionally, is give 6 more months for your husband to return and cash the checks.

...

And even longer, for the letter to be sent. If your husband does not reply at THAT time, the, again, there will be no reissued check.

...

But doing nothing at this point preserves the ability for your huisband to have those benefits available upon return

....

If, god forbid, this turns out to be a death, then you need to report that so that you will receive the survivor benefits if they are greater than you own, starting at age 60 (100% of his benefit at your full retirement age)

...

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise I receive no crediting for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986