dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I'm receiving my ss after I retire at 62. I'm divorce, my ex

Customer Question

I'm receiving my ss after I retire at 62. I'm divorce, my ex husband pass away, if his ss is more than mine do I have any rights to investigate if I cualified for his ss, I never remarried, he remarried but his wife pass way many years ago and he never remarried, I'm 73 years old.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You may be eligible for widows/surviving benefits based on your ex-spouse records as long as you were married for at least 10 years. But because you took your benefits at 62, you permanently reduced all your benefits available to you, including widows benefits. It means that you will not get 100% of his benefits, more like 70-75%. For actual amount you will need to visit your local office or call 1-***-***-**** to talk to an agent. You cannot apply for widow's benefits online.