Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am currently receiving very low SS benefits, $318.90. My

Customer Question

I am currently receiving very low SS benefits, $318.90. My husband receives $697.90. I would like to know if I qualify for an increase in my benefits through the Spousal Benefits program. I am 79 years old & we have only very limited additional income. Thank you
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: We do not own our own home but live near a daughter & family in a house of theirs.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I can help explain this. My name's Lane.

...

First, it's important to understand that social security benefits cannot be "stacked," as social security calls it.

...

So the if various benefits, if you apply for them, are higher than what you re currently receiving, they will pay a combination of benefits that will tke your current benefit up TO the higher benefit.

...

The spousal benefit is 1/2 of the other worker's benefit. SO it DOES look as if the benefit would be a little higher for you.

...

697.90 / 2 = 348.95

...

I know that's not much, but every little bit helps (You should also know that if your husband pre-deceases you, your bebfit will then go up to 100% of his benefit.

...

So, yes, although it's not a LARGE increase, I would apply for spousal benefits here.

...

You can apply:

• Online, if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older, or
  • By calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise I receive no crediting for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986