LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I just rec'd info that told me i could collect my deceased

Customer Question

i just rec'd info that told me i could collect my deceased husbands benefits can i get them retro active form when he passed?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Social security has only very limited retroactive benefit availability. However, if you are at least 66 1/2 years old and your spouse passed away more than 6 months ago, you will qualify for a 6-month retroactive survivor benefit. Unfortunately, it is not possible for anyone to collect a retroactive survivor benefit of greater longer 6 months.

So if you are over 66 1/2, then yes, you may apply for a retroactive social security survivor benefit.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it may not have been particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ty now my next questiion is how do i cancel sub and you were excellant