TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

What part of my19,247 benefit for 2015 is taxable, OK but I

Customer Question

What part of my19,247 benefit for 2015 is taxable
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: OK but I simply want the flat amount
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: NO
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

If SS benefits are all you receive in the year (no wages, pension, interest....) then none is taxable to you.

Some people have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits.

Tell me if you have other income and if you do then how much and what type is it (wages, pension...) then I can tell you the flat amount you require.