TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

My mother died 2:10 pm on August 31. I called Social

Customer Question

My mother died 2:10 pm on August 31. I called Social Security to report her death, and to ask if we should return her last check, which was due to be deposited Sept. 2. I was told to keep it, since it was for the month of August; and in closing her affairs, I withdrew it from her account, to consolidate her funds.
Now, I have received notice from her bank that the amount is to be returned to Social Security.
What do I do with this conflicting information?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

I agree with you that the system is not fair (or even easy to understand) but if a person receiving Social Security benefits dies SSA can’t pay benefits for the month of death.

That means if the person died in August, the check received in Sept (which is payment for August) must be returned.

When the payment is by direct deposit, SSA advises to notify the financial institution as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death.

Even on the last day of the month unfortunately.