Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I need to apply for the lump sum death payment for my wife,

Customer Question

I need to apply for the lump sum death payment for my wife, Arlene ***********. SS # ************. She died on Sept. 3, 2016. What is my next step. I am her husband, Edgar **********, SS# ***********.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I live in Palmyra, Pa. and would like to go to the SS office in Lebanon, Pa. if an office visit is needed.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rick Martin replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm happy to help. Are you still online? -Rick

I am very sorry for your loss. I will send you the answer to your question in a moment.

You should call your local SSA office first to make sure you're eligible. Here is what the SSA says about the lump sum benefit:

A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.

Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died. If they were living apart, the surviving spouse can still receive the lump-sum if, during the month the worker died, he or she:

If there's no eligible surviving spouse, the lump-sum can be paid to the worker's child (or children) if, during the month the worker died, the child:

If the eligible surviving spouse or child is not currently receiving benefits, they must apply for this payment within two years of the date of death.

For more information about this lump-sum payment, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry but my mailbox does not work. Please send me an e-mail.

Documents you may need to provide

Here are the documents you may need:

• A birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year; and
  • A death certificate for the deceased worker.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean that your mailbox does not work. First, please call the SSA to make sure you're eligible. Then, you should gather the required documents and meet with your local office. You should discuss payment options. It is likely that they will mail you a check.

Does this help answer your question?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Mew expert here, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

See from SSA for further information: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou7.html

Here is all information you need: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-8.html

Here is the application to be filed: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-8.pdf

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?