Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My sscheck was reduce because i had fedral retirement check

Customer Question

my sscheck was reduce because i had fedral retirement check why
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i worked 35yrs for the post office i work two jobs for over 20 yrs how can they penaly me
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help you understand here.

...

I'm so sorry, but this likely has to do with something called the WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision).

...

For anyone that worked in a under a system that didn't pay into social security (therefore generates a non-social security pension) AND didn't work a full 30 years under the Social Security system, there IS a reduction in the Social Security benefit.

...

The formula for calculating your Social Security benefit takes your Average earnings IN the system and then applies three different factors to it.

...

Normally your benefit will be the sum of:

(a) 90 percent of the first $856 of his/her average indexed monthly earnings, plus

(b) 32 percent of his/her average indexed monthly earnings over $856 and through $5,157, plus

(c) 15 percent of his/her average indexed monthly earnings over $5,157.

...

But for those that have less than 30 years in social secuity, that 90% factor can be reduced to as low as 40% (21 to 29 years in the system).

...

For anyone with 20 years or less in the system, the 90% factor is always 40%

...

You can read more about that here:https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all.

...

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no crediting for the work here.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.