annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

My husband is 64 he receive social security. I am 63 and

Customer Question

My husband is 64 he receive social security. I am 63 and will delay my benefits as long as I can. In the mean time can I receive my husbands social security benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 5 months ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi

SSA revisited this issue just last year. It used to be the if you were full retirement age, you could draw off of your spouse's account, thus allowing you to have your full benefit once you reached full retirement age.

That law was repealed, and now, if you are not full retirement age, you may claim the HIGHEST of 1/2 of your spouse's benefit, or your benefit, reduced by your age if you're not at full retirement age. Please see below:
https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive feedback that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

I see you have read my response, but have not yet rated it.

Do you have additional questions?

If there anything else I can help you with?

If not, then please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars, as it is the ONLY way that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you again for choosing justanswer!