LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My wife rec'd half of her husbands social security when he

Customer Question

my wife rec'd half of her husbands social security when he died in 1988 and rec'd about 600.00/month. we got married this year and does she qualify for 1/2 of my social security amount which is over $2000.00/month? regards ***** ***** corson (057228071)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Doug,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What was your wife's age when she married you?

2. How long have you been married so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi sir, again I will answer your questions:
my wife is 77 years old and we were married april 9. 2016.
hope you get the answers this time. regards, ***** *****
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Hi Doug,

Your wife will be eligible to receive a spouse benefit---which is as much as 50% of your full retirement age benefit----as soon as the two of you have been married at least 12 months. She can apply for the spouse benefit as much as 3 months in advance but the increase in benefits will not be effective until your 1st anniversary.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Hi Doug,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the 5-star rating so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,