Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My social security number was issued to someone else by the

Customer Question

My social security number was issued to someone else by the social security office, by accident. I filed a report with the Abingdon, MD Social security office. Can I please receive and update on my issue? I need to get a drivers license asap and they will not let me get it without an SS number verified.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

How do you know the SSA office "gave" someone else your number? DO you mean now two people have the same SS#? And what does SSA say they are going to do about it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I went to the office they informed me that they issued my number to someone else so now my earnings are on my number but not name and birthday are not, it is someone else's. So yes, two people now have the same social number but technically the person just issued my number has their name and birthday on it so it looks like I don't have a social security number. They said they are looking into it and will notify me when it is fixed. The problem is it's been two months, multiple phone calls and two visits and nothing has been corrected yet. I also need that updated because I currently have an expired license and need to get another asap. I can't drive without my social security issue being resolved. The DMV will not issue me a license without the system being updated.

OK, SSA must fix this. Typically, the first person with the number should stay with the number. This 'fixing' can take many months, because SSA is notoriously SLOW lately - short staffed, underbudgeted, etc. I'd stay on them. That said, the DMV can accept a letter from SSA saying you currently don't have an SSA number, OR, that your number IS ***** so you can get that DL.

This letter about NO SSN is typically used for non-resident, non-working visa holders who want a DL.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100299020

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!