dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I retired from the State of Massachusetts and I had been

Customer Question

I retired from the State of Massachusetts and I had been receiving my deceased ex-husband's social security as we were married for 25 years. After retiring on 6/30/2015 ss shut down my benefits on my ex's ss and made me open up a case under my own ss#. My benefits were $1,000 less than my ex's. The state of MA takes 2/3 of benefits away because I get a pension, but is it legal for ss to close my case under his ss #?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

I'm so sorry to be the messenger here, but there are two provisions in the law that serve to oimit (and sometimes eliminate) the social secrity benefit youi recevied (if you did not have 30+ year in Social Secuity and had a government pension) ... (1) WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) which reduces the benefit on your own record and (2) GPO Government Pension Offset which reduces (and if your government pension is large enough) can eliminate your Social Securty survivor benefit.