dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

1 l have had my card since 1978 did not know it had to be

Customer Question

1 l have had my green card since 1978 did not know it had to be renewed every 2 yrs,will my card be recinded or will l be denied one.
#2 wanting to go back to England [ in October ] l wiil be living with my brother and family ,until l l find my own accomidation.
#3 l recive Social Security,a V A pension from my husband ,I will be depending on these to support my self.
#4 Will I lose my benifits
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Permanent green card has to be renewed every 10 years. The first conditional card issued for 2 years had to be renewed after 2 years, if you didn't you lost it. Which means you may not be eligible to collect social security benefits. I would suggest to visit your local immigration office as soon as possible and apply for a new card immediately. You will not be able to return to US with expired conditional card.