keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

My son recieves SSI- his father passed away and my son will

Customer Question

My son recieves SSI- his father passed away and my son will receive a portion of his father's life insurance policy. I am told this does not have to be claimed as income. Is this correct? I worry about it affecting his future SSI.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Life Insurance proceeds are not subject to federal or state income taxes, that is correct.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my son does not need to report it as income to social security?

For purposes of Social Security, there is "earned income" (which is generally taxable to the recipient) & "unearned income" which may or may not be taxable to the recipient (for example life insurance proceeds are not taxable but dividend and interest & capital gains are unearned but taxable).

However for Social Security reporting purposes this is what is included in their definition of "reportable" unearned income:

1. Life insurance proceeds and other death benefits,to the extent that the total amount is more than the expenses of the deceased person's last illness and burial paid by the individual;

2. Gifts and inheritances.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Just checking in.....................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,