TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

I wouldlike to start receiving SS and continue to work. I am

Customer Question

I wouldlike to start receiving SS and continue to work. I am now 64 andwill be 65 4 6 17. Should i start now or wait till 65?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Just wondering what is the best thing for me?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time.

However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, SSA will reduce your benefit.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, we will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

If you were born between 1/2/1943 and 1/1/1955, your full retirement age is 66 years.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, SSA deducts $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.