TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

My ex husband of over 10 years started collecting his ss

Customer Question

My ex husband of over 10 years started collecting his ss benefits on his 64th birthday this year( born 1952-feb). I am 64 as of sept 2016 (born 1952-sep) QUESTION- can I start collecting 50% of his benefits now and switch over to mine at full retirement age (66) for us. I am getting two different answers from two different financial advisors - one saying yes and the other saying no- i would have to wait till i am full retirement age to collect on his and then could later (70) stop his and collect then on mine....
Can you advise me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

SSA advises the following:

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

When you apply they will look at all possible payments to you. You cannot just request the spousal benefit unfortunately.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am checking back to see if you needed me to clarify.