TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I am 83years old I lived in my sons house rent free he was

Customer Question

I am 83years old I lived in my sons house rent free he was killed august 10 in an auto accident he contributed more than half of my living expense my ss was only 900hundred dollars a month his is 1500a month can I collect his benafits he was not married
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

That is called "Parent's Benefits" for survivors. You must have been dependent on your child at the time of his death as you stated.

You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-****(TTY 1-***-***-****) or by visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

The parent of a deceased child that they were dependent on can receive up to 82½ percent of the amount their child was receiving.

When you already receive benefits the calculation will generally be your own and then some from the survivor benefit. They would not just add his total to your benefit.

Call the number I supplied at the beginning.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Checking back to see if you need me to clarify the information.